Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions
Welcome to the Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions page for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Students. The information provided here will help you to understand some of the strategies that work for this particular transition.
A video resource is also provided below!
The following are Best Practices for Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions selected from ONECA’s Aboriginal Student Transitions Project (2011), and from “Walk in Our Moccasins: A Comprehensive Study of Aboriginal Education Counsellors in Ontario (2010)”.
- Excursions to post-secondary institutions that are live or web-based
- Attend cultural, social and academic events at colleges and universities
- Meet the staff and orientate with services at the First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education Units at colleges/universities
- Parental and community involvement with transition events (Grade 12 graduation)
- Develop a career pathway plan for students that involves the secondary guidance department and potential post-secondary institutions
- Offer workshops on bursaries and scholarships available to First Nations, Métis and Inuit students
- Host an application for post-secondary funds/sponsorship to First Nations, Métis and Inuit students
- Academic skills, resources, training and services
- Research and familiarity with programs and services available to First Nations, Métis and Inuit students in the city or town or location of school
- Personalized tours of college/university that identifies location of classes, cafeteria, library and other essential services for students
- Mentorship and buddy programs that link students to a support network
For a specific perspective on this particular transition, go back to the HOMEPAGE and select one of the following: Education Counsellors, Students, Parents/Guardians, Other Professionals or Communities. There you will also find a list of web resources specifically tailored for that group.
- Download Poster: Tools For Success (Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions)
- (English) (Oji-Cree) (Ojibway) (French)
- Video: Transition from Secondary to Post-Secondary – Tools for Success