Welcome to the Post-Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions page for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Students. The information provided here will help you to understand some of the strategies that work for this particular transition.
A video resource is also provided below!
The following are Best Practices for Post-Secondary to Post-Secondary Transitions selected from the ONECA Aboriginal Student Transitions Project (2011), and from “Walk in Our Moccasins: A Comprehensive Study of Aboriginal Education Counsellors in Ontario (2010).”
- Visit and meet with the First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education Counsellor, unit and First Nations, Métis and Inuit services/programs at the location
- Ensure that credits are transferable between institutions
- Offer workshops on bursaries and scholarships
- Develop plans on achieving a career pathway and various options
- Virtual and live tours of college and/or university
- Mentorship opportunities for additional support
- Academic skills, resources, training and services
- Reviewing the applicability of strategies in the secondary to post-secondary link to this situation
For a specific perspective on this particular transition, go back to the HOMEPAGE and select one of the following: Education Counsellors, Students, Parents/Guardians, Other Professionals or Communities. There you will also find a list of web resources specifically tailored for that group.